RSS Feed

View of The Tracks

April 26, 2013 by Hubbard County Historical Museum Director

This is a old glass negative from Tom Vogtman’s collection.

Vogtman PR Depot.tif

If you happen to know the name of the Lumber Company in this photo, please leave a comment.

Update:  The Dower Lumber Company is the large building on the left.

11 Comments

1. Rod Nordberg says:

Not convinced this is Park Rapids–IF there had been a watertower, it would likely have been just south of hwy 34 near to the round table. And that would make the pictured depot on wrong side of tracks, assuming this is looking north, e.g., from about 3rd Street.
    If looking south, there seems to be too much track south of hwy 34 and round table.
    The white sheds on right of photo are similar to those I’ve seen in many other towns.

2. Rod Nordberg says:

Sorry I didn’t get it associated with the earlier posts about Hubbard and Shell Prairies–Jim Johnson’s recent book “Heyday: Twenty Upstart Years on the Hubbard Prairie 1880-1900″ (available at Historical Museum’s bookshop and Beagle Books in Park Rapids) summarizes a lot of this history, some from research he conducted at our Museum.

3. IntenseGuy says:

http://www.west2k.com/mnstations/hubbard.shtml lists the stations in Hubbard County.

The sign on the lumber yard appears to say “Gower” to me.

4. IntenseGuy says:

I think the lumber company is “Dower Lumber Company, of Wadena, Minnesota” owned by John Dower, who later moved to Tacoma, Washington State.

It had 36 yards (outlets) – so I’ve not determined where this photo was taken.

“William Dower
    Source: Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. (Publ. 1907) Transcribed by Kim Mohler

DOWER William, Wadena. Hardware merchant. Born May 23, 1860 in Mich, son of Sampson and Mary Ann (Gilbert) Dower. Married Dec 25, 1889 to Jessie Boyd. Educated in public schools of Duluth. Moved to Wadena 1875 and engaged in farming and lumbering until 1895; served as county treas 1895-1905; purchased an interest in Wadena Hardware Co and has been engaged in that business to date. Member Dower Lumber Co. Member Minn House of Representatives session 1907-1909; Masonic fraternity 32d degree, Shrine and I O O F.”

5. IntenseGuy says:

I’ve been looking at this for a while and I think perhaps this photo is actually in Wadena.

If you look at the station in:

especially the last photo, which I think it the “reverse shot” of what you have (that is, the scene from 1/4-1/2 mile down the tracks and looking back).

• Thanks! The old glass negatives are sometimes confusing as to which way they go and can easily be reversed. I will attempt to reverse the photo and post it.
      All we know about this particular glass negative as it was taken someplace in this area. :)

• I reversed it and now you can’t read the sign..so ..duh..it must have been scanned correctly:)

• intenseGuy says:

Oh, I didn’t mean the image was reversed… what I meant to say (and did so badly) was the this photo is taken from nearly an opposite angle as the 3d photo in the link. Note the water tank is across from the passenger station with the semaphore, the building in the distance between the tracks and the buildings hidden on the right which I think includes the lumber co. building in the far distance (in the 3d linked photo) and compare that to your photo – all the structures align – just from different (and nearly opposing angle of view).

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.