RSS Feed

Fieldman’s

January 23, 2014 by Hubbard County Historical Museum Director

Across from the old High School there used to be a store called Fieldman’s.  It was right next to the Apco Station on the corner.  It was also torn down to make way for the State Bank Building.  Fieldmans sold Army Navy Surplus items and Osh Kosh work and casual wear. The building in the background with the green roof is the Armory.

9 Comments

1. Dawn Gravdahl says:

I thought I remembered going into Fieldmans. We moved back in the summer of 68. Did they have another store on main? I thought I had purchased fabric and bumbers (tennis shoes with a rubber sole and thick edging of rubber all around the sides and across the toe). They were great for walking around town in the spring when the snow was melting.

2. Hi Dawn, I am not sure of the history of Fieldmans. I don’t remember a store on main just this one across the road from the High School. I will have Gene get in touch with Steve Fieldman, perhaps he can help us with some date etc…

3. Ann Zick says:

I remember shopping there.

4. Tom Larson says:

Good place to buy cheap school clothes in the ’50′s. Levi’s were only $2., army surplus pants were a buck. Being the first customer on a Monday morning you could name your own price! Bought my first surplus military rifle there. Good memory.

5. Rod Nordberg says:

Fieldman’s “army surplus” was usully actual SURPLUS, from WWII or Korea, not something made later to look like surplus. During hunting season, Max hung blaze orange-dyed navy white coveralls in front of the store.

6. Ardis (Fieldman) Wexler says:

There was only one store on the same block as the armory. There was a dry-cleaning plant in the back of the store for many years as that was the first business my father had before he went into the US Navy during WW II. He added the military surplus wen he returned to Park Rapids. I don’t recall that he ever sold weapons, but he did have fishing licenses; the comment about being the first customer and getting a discount doesn’t sound familiar, but it certainly could have happened.

• I received this email from Steve Fieldman!
      Yes, the site was originally a blacksmith shop.

As you might be aware, Max and his brothers and sisters were orphan immigrants. He was the nephew of Jack and Ben Glantz. The Glantz brothers had come to America as timber cruisers and then became very successful in the Park Rapids area—having a store and a farm. The Depression was largely responsible for their collapse. The Glantz brothers’ history and contribution to Park Rapids is another long story for another day.

Max was not subject to the draft during World War II, as he was over-age. However, out of patriotism, he volunteered for the navy. Due to his tailoring expertise, he was made a parachute rigger—rising to PR2, a second class petty officer.

After the war, he opened (or re-opened) his dry cleaning and tailoring business, which later became the clothing store. In the 1970’s he closed his business—but there was another clothing business that used the premises (and possibly some other tenants) for some time. Then, the building was sold to the bank and demolished. (The bank would know what year.)

Another story is the post-war period—as Max and Esther made substantial contributions to the area. They were instrumental in the development of the school district, the hospital, and a number of other community resources.

Thank you for your work in preserving the history of the area.

Best,
      Steve

• From Ardis:
        As I remember being told: the original building was some type of blacksmith shop. He would have probably opened it as a retail store after he returned from serving in the Navy after WW II. There are some old pictures of him at the drycleaning press from the Park Rapids Enterprise. That newspaper would also have the date it was sold, first to a couple who also used part of the building for the wife who had a ceramic business and then to another couple, I think.

7. Martin Horrigan says:

I have fond memories of Max’s store. The Fieldmans were close family friends. I recall the roll of brown wrapping paper on the counter. Parcels were wrapped and string tied around them. The pricing was clever $7.88 for a shirt.. no even numbered prices. Enjoyed chatting with Max…sometimes it took awhile to get out with your parcel.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.